Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Monstrosity Gazette: A weekly smattering of all things literary...

Bookish Quote of the Day:

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."

-Cicero




MySpace Codes


Today in Literary History...

On this day in 1948, J. D. Salinger's "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" was published in the New Yorker; in the same magazine, on the same day in 1953, Salinger's "Teddy" also appeared. These are the first and last selections in Nine Stories (1953), Salinger's only collection. "Bananafish" introduces Seymour Glass, one of the many that Salinger would cast in the Holden mold and predicament.

For more literary history, please visit Today in Literature.
MySpace Codes


Literary Pic of the Day:


MySpace Codes


Book on my Radar:

Bloodroot
by Amy Greene
Knopf, 2010
304 pages
Historical/Literary Fiction

Summary in a Sentence:

Follows the lives and experiences of one family from the time of the Great Depression to the twenty-first century, centering around Myra Lamb, a young girl who has the extraordinary talent of connecting with animals and people around her.

Read the Review:
MySpace Codes


Interesting Links to Peruse:

7 comments:

Greg Zimmerman said...

Bloodroot sounds fantastic! Entertainment Weekly gave it a very rare "A" - I'm excited to dive in!

Lisa said...

I'm not sure I'd want to spend much time in a reading room that looks that uncomfortable!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

Yeah, I think reading rooms these days are a little less formal :)

Unknown said...

That is my favorite quote about reading. I use it all the time. A friend of mine moved into his first house and I bought him a book for a house warming present. I wrote that quote in the cover!

Julie said...

Bloodroot is also on my radar!

Emma Michaels said...

Bloodroot sounds like it will be amazing!

Anonymous said...

Glad you highlighted Bloodroot. My EW subscription has lapsed (I miss it!). Looks like a must read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...