Monday, January 4, 2010

Books by Theme: Jane Austen Variations

girl drinking out of I love Mr. Darcy coffee mug Jane Austen
                                                                                       
     photo credit

While researching the plethora of Jane Austen prequels, sequels, and variations to read for the Jane Austen Challenge, I stumbled across quite a few interesting variations I am considering for 2010. Here are a few of my findings...

D.A. Bonavia-Hunt
Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy


Several years after the marriage of the Darcys, the sudden death of Pemberley’s rector disrupts their happily-ever-after. When Mr. Stephen Acworth replaces him, mysterious events take place; the Darcys suspect their new rector isn’t quite who he says he is. First published in 1949, Bonavia-Hunt’s work holds the distinction of being the second P&P sequel ever published. While not particularly gothic in tone, the book holds a special historical place in the Austen sequel canon.

Beth Pattillo
Jane Austen Ruined My Life


Professor Emma Grant has always had faith in the happily-ever-after depicted by her favorite author, Jane Austen. But where’s Emma’s happy ending when she discovers that, instead of a Darcy, she’s married a Wickham who both breaks her heart and destroys her career? Emma sets off for England on a quest to reestablish her academic credibility by tracking down the lost letters of Jane Austen and finds a romantic adventure of her own. Fun for Anglophiles and Austenites alike.

Barbara Ker Wilson


The Lost Years of Jane Austen: A Novel


Wilson has pieced together a convincing fictional account of Jane Austen’s activities during the early 1800s. The tale begins with a true event: the fraudulent arrest of Jane’s aunt for the theft of a piece of white lace worth 20 shillings. Events arising from this send Jane on a voyage across the sea to Australia and expose her to adventure and romance along the way. A convincing work of historical fiction, though Austen’s fans may find themselves clamoring for less about Jane’s relations and more about Jane.

Marsha Altman
The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentlemen’s Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters

Picking up right where Pride and Prejudice left off, Altman’s debut novel commences just two days before the double wedding of Darcy and Bingley to the Bennett sisters. When Bingley confides some misgivings about the upcoming wedding night, Darcy presents him with a special wedding gift: a magnificently illustrated edition of The Kama Sutra. This light, humorous return to Austen’s key characters is an engaging read, but it may take too many liberties for Austen purists.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved reading the Impulse and Initiative by Abigail Reynolds.

Its nice reading redone classics as its good to see how people see the story and what they like to have happened.

Serena said...

Looks like you have some great books lined up for the challenge. I'm still working on my list.

Milka said...

I love P&P and read so many different variations/sequels/prequels of the story. Haven't read any of these one though. I have heart that the books by Abigail Reynols are really good. Some great ones are: Mr Darcy's Diary by Maya Slater, Lydia Bennet's Story by Jane Odiwe, My Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange and Must've Have Done Something Good which is a 21st century story with a Pride&Prejudice twist. :)

Nina said...

I seriousley put all of the above books on my tbr list. I love Jane Austen, seriousley I do. :)

Ash said...

All of these books look great! I love the mug too.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Looks like some great reads coming up for you - enjoy!

Toni said...

I really should do this challenge. Great post. I do have the last book. Great Pics.

Svea Love said...

Those look like some great books. I had not heard of them before, thank you :)

http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/

Cecelia said...

I haven't read any of those selections, but I'm right there with you on continuing the Austen-ness in this new year. I've got several books on my slate that I didn't get to in 2009. Let the romance continue!

Book Dragon said...

I have Beth's Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart in my TBReviewed pile

Book Dragon said...

well...it is a review book... but not to fear, it comes out next month. I haven't read the first one either.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...