by Jennifer Holm & Matthew Holm
Random House (Jul. 8, 2014)
Afraid to watch horror movies with his friend, Pod, Squish the amoeba feels better after learning that even comic book superheroes get scared sometimes.
Why You'll Love It:
- This graphic novel sympathetically and realistically depicts Squish’s two competing fears: first, of the frightening Water Bear movies his friends enjoy, and second, his worry that if he admits he is scared, he will “look, you know, lame in front of other kids.”
- Squish’s outsized panic after seeing the first two movies is humorously conveyed in the fluid and energetic illustrations. Super Amoeba’s subplot also provides comic relief, as he is terrified of a dark mist paralyzing Small Pond.
- Pod and Peggy, Squish’s friends, prove to be consistent and supportive in their reactions to his predicament. Pod doesn’t mind when Squish declines to see the new Water Bear sequel, and Peggy is thrilled to have someone with whom to watch Zweebort Beach Party!
Who Should Read It:
Great for grades 2-5.
What Else You Should Read:
- The rest of the Squish series.
- The Lunch Lady graphic novel series by Jarrett Krosoczka.
- The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza by James Kochalka.