Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

 
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

 

You are about to travel to Edgecombe St. Mary, a small village in the English countryside filled with rolling hills, thatched cottages, and a cast of characters both hilariously original and as familiar as the members of your own family. Among them is Major Ernest Pettigrew (retired), the unlikely hero of Helen Simonson's wondrous debut. Wry, courtly, opinionated, and completely endearing, Major Pettigrew is one of the most indelible characters in contemporary fiction, and from the very first page of this remarkable novel he will steal your heart.

The Major leads a quiet life valuing the proper things that Englishmen have lived by for generations: honor, duty, decorum, and a properly brewed cup of tea. But then his brother's death sparks an unexpected friendship with Mrs. Jasmina Ali, the Pakistani shopkeeper from the village. Drawn together by their shared love of literature and the loss of their respective spouses, the Major and Mrs. Ali soon find their friendship blossoming into something more. But village society insists on embracing him as the quintessential local and her as the permanent foreigner. Can their relationship survive the risks one takes when pursuing happiness in the face of culture and tradition?
This title will be released on March 2, 2010.

What's your "waiting on" pick this week? Leave your link here.

14 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

This sounds lovely! Adding it to my wish list : )

Boof (The Book Whisperer) said...

I love the sound of this one!

Here is mine:

http://boofsbookshelf.com/tag/waiting-on-wednesday/

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

That one sounds good to me too. Here is my pick:

http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2010/02/waiting-on-wednesday-every-last-one.html

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, it sounds delightful and cozy and quirky! Gotta love those thatched cottages, too!

Mine is here:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/02/waiting-on-wednesday.html

nomadreader said...

I have an ARC of this one, and I'm looking forward to reading it!

Unknown said...

Ooh...I've been waiting for this one too! Hope my public library gets it, or I might be making a visit to the Book Depository ;-)

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

Yes, the book depository is a wondrous thing, isn't it?

Alayne said...

Great pick. I have this one on my shelf at home waiting for review. My picks are at The Crowded Leaf.

Lori@ Escape Between The Pages said...

Interesting, I might have to look into this book further.

Here's Mine.

Sandra said...

This sounds like a great story. I hadn't heard of it, I will check my library. Thanks for the heads up. My WoW is here:

http://freshinkbooks.blogspot.com/2010/02/waiting-on-wednesday-special-edition-2.html

Zibilee said...

Ohh, this one does look very good! I will have to keep my eye open for it, thanks!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

This sounds interesting, it's probably not something that I would normally pick up but it looks really good!

Lisa said...

This one's on my radar, too!

Veens said...

I like the sound of this one!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...