Thursday, February 18, 2010

Wading Through My Wishlist

 

Recent additions to the Great Monstrosity that is my wishlist....

Irreplaceable by Stephen Lovely

The last thing in the world grieving Iowa widower Alex Voorman wants is to hear from the woman who now has his wife's heart. It's been a year since his beloved Isabel was killed in a truck/bicycle accident, and he's barely moving on. Close to his mother-in-law, Bernice, he resents her push for him to speak with Chicagoan Janet Corcoran, who was near death until she received Isabel's heart. First-time novelist Lovely writes unflinchingly of the medical and emotional realities that attend a heart transplant and the terrible toll it can take on recipients and their families, who are desperate to stop worrying, and the donors' loved ones, who will never stop grieving.


The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet by Myrlin Hermes

A Divinity scholar at Wittenberg University, Horatio prides himself on his ability to argue both sides of any intellectual debate but is himself a skeptic, never fully believing in any philosophy. That is, until he meets the outrageous, provocative, and flamboyantly beautiful Prince of Denmark, who teaches him more about both Earth and Heaven than any of his books. But Hamlet is also irrationally haunted by intimations of a tragic destiny he believes is preordained.
When a freelance translation job turns into a full-scale theatrical production, Horatio arranges for the theater-loving prince to act in the play-disguised as the heroine! This attracts the attention of Horatio's patroness, the dark and manipulative Lady Adriana. A voracious and astute reader of both books and people, she performs her own seductions to test whether the "platonic true-love" described in his poems is truly so platonic. But when a mysterious rival poet calling himself "Will Shake-speare" begins to court both Prince Hamlet and his Dark Lady, Horatio is forced to choose between his skepticism and his love. ~ Found via Steele on Entertainment ~


Black No More by George Samuel Schuyler

What would happen to the race problem in America if black people turned white? Would everybody be happy? These questions and more are answered hilariously in Black No More, George S. Schuyler's satiric romp. Black No More is the story of Max Disher, a dapper black rogue of an insurance man who, through a scientific transformation process, becomes Matthew Fisher, a white man. Matt dreams up a scam that allows him to become the leader of the Knights of Nordica, a white supremacist group, as well as to marry the white woman who rejected him when he was black. Black No More is a hysterical exploration of race and all its self-serving definitions. If you can't beat them, turn into them. ~ Found via Rebecca Reads ~


What do you say, readers? Sound good/bad? Have you read any of these?

12 comments:

Andi said...

Great additional to the monstrous wishlist! My is sagging in the middle, too.

Irreplaceable reminds me of the plot of a favorite movie: Return to Me. Though the book sounds far less upbeat and chick-flickish.

The Lunative, the Lover, and the Poet sounds great too!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet but it sounds intriguing!

Ryan said...

I'm so excited to get my hands on The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet. It looks so goooood.

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

The wish list never ends. The tbr pile never ends it's a cycle

JaneGS said...

The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet sounds interesting--I'll be interested in hearing how it does (i.e., worth reading).

Anonymous said...

I think I need to put Irreplaceable on my wishlist too! It sounds awesome!

Marie Cloutier said...

I wish I still had my galley of Irreplaceable- I'd send it to you. Hope you get a chance to read it soon!

Rob said...

I recently read and reviewed, The Lunatic, the Lover and the Poet. Here's a link to my review (I loved the book too and even hosted a free giveaway).

Aloha from Rob

SariJ said...

You read some really great books! My list grows and grows. I will look for Black No More because it sounds interesting and I am always for a good laugh.

Veens said...

God, I have not heard about any of these books! All of them sound really interesting!

Mystica said...

I won the Lunatic, the Lover and the Poet in a book competition and am waiting for it to arrive. Will do a review no sooner I get it and read it.

Black no more sounds for me nt very feasible - I think I could not handle imagination as big as that.

ArtSparker said...

The lunatic, the lover and the poet, if -big if- well-written could be a wonderful comic-bookish ride. I laughed out loud reading the plot description.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...