Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Monstrosity Gazette: A weekly smattering of all things literary...

Bookish Quote of the Week:

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."
 —Lemony Snicket



Today in Literary History:

On this day in 1975 P. G. "Plum" Wodehouse died, aged ninety-three. Given the hundred books and the three-dozen musicals, it seems reasonable to believe the account of Wodehouse's final moments which has him collapsing while trying to pick up the pen and papers his wife had thrown across his hospital room. On this day in 1946 George Orwell published "In Defence of P. G. Wodehouse," in which he tries to rescue the author from his stickiest and most famous spot of trouble.

For more literary history, please visit Today in Literature.


Literary Pic of the Day:

 
Man Reading by Rembrandt van Rijn



Book on my Radar:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
by Rebecca Skloot
Crown (Feb. 2010)
384 pages
Nonfiction: Medicine/Diseases

Summary in a Sentence:

Examines the experiences of the children and husband of Henrietta Lacks, who, twenty years after her death from cervical cancer in 1951, learned doctors and researchers took cells from her cervix without consent which were used to create the immortal cell line known as the HeLa cell; provides an overview of Henrietta's life; and explores issues of experimentation on African-Americans and bioethics.

11 comments:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

The Henrietta Lacks book is everywhere! Last week NYTimes, this week People!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

Yeah, I first saw it at NPR's site, and then on Amazon's Omnivoracious blog. It sounds so interesting.

Anonymous said...

I love that quote and I love Lemony Snicket!

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Henrettia Lacks right now and it's fascinating! Be sure to read it soon if you can.
I really like this feature you do. Very librarian-esque :)

Aarti said...

I am watching for Henrietta Lacks, too! It sounds fascinating.

nomadreader said...

I really want to read the Henrietta Lacks book too. It looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I just noticed the book on Henrietta Lacks on Amazon. Sounds really good!

Dana said...

I love your quote of the week! The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks sounds like a really great book - I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for it.

Suzanne Yester said...

I ordered The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and am patiently waiting for it to get to my bookstore! It looked fascinating! And I can't wait to see some chatter about it!

Have a great week!

G Cummings said...

I've been wanting to read the Henrietta Lacks book since I first heard of it. Since I am in genetics (and through my human genetics class, we have to go through a human testing panel and licensure board) this story holds a great deal of interest for me.

Lisa said...

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks has really caught my interest, even though it is so far out of my usual reading comfort zone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...