Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Monstrosity Gazette: A weekly smattering of all things literary...

Bookish Quote of the Day:

"Disparage no book, for it is also a part of the world."

-Nachman of Breslov



Today in Literary History...

On this day in 1852 Nikolai Gogol died at the age of forty-two. His unique style is a comic-tragic-absurd hybrid which has led to him being labeled the Hieronymous Bosch of Russian Literature. Having come under the sway of a fanatical priest late in life, and then been subjected to the treatments of several quack doctors, Gogol's last days mirrored one of his bizarre stories all too closely.

For more literary history, visit Today in Literature.



Literary Pic of the Week:

 
"Bookworm" by Norman Rockwell, 1926


Book on my Radar:

Ruby's Spoon
by Anna Pietroni
Spiegel & Grau, 2010
384 pages

Summary in a Sentence:

Isa Fly arrives in Cradle Cross, England, in 1933, and many of the town's residents feel an instant pull towards the mysterious young woman, but a group of tight-knit women are suspicious of Isa and accuse her of being a witch, setting in motion a shocking series of events that will change the town and its people forever.

Read the Reviews: Farm Lane Books | The B Files

11 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I've never read Gogol but have read references to him and his books in other books. Might be a good addition to the book bucket list : )

Suzanne Yester said...

Ooh, Ruby's Spoon sounds really interesting! I'm going to put in on my TBR list now! Thanks for sharing! And I love Norman Rockwell's Bookworm!

Anonymous said...

Love the Rockwell painting. I don't know where you live but the Norman Rockwell museum in the Berkshires is a must visit! I have a Rockwell print on my wall. "Girl at the Mirror."

Unknown said...

I'm surprised by the cover of Ruby's Spoon. It is very different to mine, which seems to emphasize the fairy tale elements of the book. Yours seems to be concentrating on the atmosphere. I look forward to finding out what you think of it.

Anonymous said...

"Hieronymous Bosch of Russian Literature" - this makes me want to read Gogol. They should make that a marketing strategy. So and so is the Michelangelo of romance novels or the Ansel Adams of children's books.

Veens said...

I need to read Gogol! I have been meaning to for sometime :)

Ruby's Spoon sounds VERY interesting, waiting to hear your thoughts on it :)

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Wow this one sounds really good!

Zibilee said...

I am in the middle of Dead Souls by Gogol right now, and I highly recommend it. He really is a heck of a writer, with the comic timing of a genius.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

These are fun posts! I like a little bit of history (you know, every once in a while :)

Andi said...

I just love Today in Literature. It's delivered to my Nook everyday, and I always look forward to checking it out.

Lisa said...

Love the Norman Rockwell!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...