Friday, October 9, 2009

Review: The White Queen

Touchstone, August 2009
Historical Fiction

Summary in a sentence:

Elizabeth Woodville, a beautiful and ambitious woman, catches the eye of a newly crowned boy king, secretly marries him, and ascends to royalty while fighting for her family's success.

My opinion:

It's been awhile since I've read any of  Gregory's books and I was excited to dive into her new novel. When I read historical fiction whose history I am unfamiliar with, I usually prep myself by doing a little light research to brush up on who's who and what's what. I did not do any such preparations this time, because I realized I could use my unfortunate ignorance on the subject to my advantage: this book would read more like a fictitious story whose ending will not unfold to me until the last second. And that's mostly what happened.

Elizabeth WoodvilleUnfortunately, Ms. Gregory became slightly heavy-handed with her repetition and symbolic concepts. At times, I could almost imagine the lovely author taking the book out of my hands during said symbolic passages, which were repeated quite frequently, and thunking me over the head with her words. "See? Do you see what's going to happen here? I gave you a hint!" she says with each thwack over my head. 


Other than the qualm with repetition, I thought this was an entertaining read. I enjoyed learning about Elizabeth Woodville, a queen who was largely unknown to me before I read this novel. Another aspect of the book that others sometimes have a problem with is the inclusion of witchcraft. This aspect of the novel did not really bother me since this is, after all, fiction rather than an historical account of the Wars of the Roses. Some liberties can be taken. But how far is too far? Gregory herself admits that "There is more fiction in this novel than in my previous ones," and that "Elizabeth Woodville was indeed a descendent of the dukes of Burgundy, who cherished the tradition that they were descended from Melusina, the water goddess." I thought that the touches of medieval magic and witchcraft simply added interest to the narrative.


Gregory includes an author's note and an extensive bibliography on the subjects covered in the novel for further reading.  

This is not my favorite Gregory novel, but I still enjoyed the read. I stayed up late last night to finish it! 


Rating:  3/5 stars


Read-alikes:
Other reviews on this book:

9 comments:

Lezlie said...

This wasn't my favorite of Gregory's work either, but I did think it was a pretty good read. While I was not a fan of the witchcraft part of the story, I did think she ultimately tied it in nicely at the end so I forgave it. :-)

Lezlie

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Thwack! LOL!

I've read only Gregory's THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (which I liked), and will likely eventually read this.

Thanks for the warning about the repetition.

L said...

Maybe she took liberties because little is known about this queen? Her sons on the other hand, big speculation about them and how they died. So little is written about the women during this time period. If you like Gregory, you'd probably like another favorite of mine, Anya Seton. She wrote Katherine, about the wife of John Gaunt, one of my all-time favorite books. Gregory mimics her style a lot.

Booklogged said...

I still want to read this one someday.

Amanda, I left an award for you on my blog.

Alyce said...

Nice review! I agree with you about the symbolism (although for me it was more the mystic/mythological part that I didn't like). It was still a good read though.

Lisa said...

Hey Amanda! I just found your blog through a commentor. I look forward to having a look thru it!

I read The White Queen too, and I agree with what you said. The Other Boleyn Girl was great too!

Cheers!

Veens said...

Well I hven't read any of Gregory's book but, everyone says this is not her best book :)

Unknown said...

I agree with this not being her best book. Thanks for the "repetition" thoughts. I could actually picture you being hit over the head with the book, Ha!

Thanks for joining in the party. Glad to have you :)

-CYM

Cackleberry Homestead said...

I haven't read this one but have heard from others that it's not her best. I still want to try it. Thanks for your honest review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...