Friday, October 16, 2009

Review: Montmorency: Thief, Liar Gentleman

Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman
by Eleanor Updale
Publisher: Orchard, 2004

Summary in a Sentence:

In Victorian London, after his life is saved by a young physician, a thief utilizes the knowledge he gains in prison and from the scientific lectures he attends as the physician's case study exhibit to create a new, highly successful, double life for himself.

My thoughts:

"Sewage stinks, but rich people, on the whole, don't."

Allow me to introduce you to Scarper, a thief who sneaks around the sewers. Or is he Montmorency, the charming, wealthy gentleman living the high life of the well to do? Try both! This Jekyll and Hyde-esque novel is so wonderful. The plot is non-stop action and the characters are so very well-written.
Montmorency, a seasoned yet likeable criminal, is saved through scientific advances and cutting edge surgery by the prison physician, Dr. Farcett. While being displayed by the good doctor in a lecture one day, Montmorency overhears a discussion on London's sewer system and his alter ego Scarper is born, along with an elaborate plan to make him rich.

Although the book was published as a young adult novel, I do believe I enjoyed it more now than I would have as a teenager. It was a fast-paced and witty thriller and, lucky for me, there are 3 more in the series. Highly recommended :)

Rating: 5/5

Read Alikes:
 Other Reviews of This Book:
Hear an excerpt read aloud on NPR here.

9 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

Sounds like fun!

L said...

Wow, I think I'd really like this one! Love historical fiction.

Andrea said...

Sounds pretty good. Great review.

Raspberry said...

I enjoyed this one too, but I must confess the sequels got to me a bit - just a little too dark and creepy. :)
My husband, however, devoured the entire series.

Zia said...

Never heard of this. Sounds interesting tho.

Susan said...

I loved this book when I read it several years ago. I have been thinking about it recently because it reminds me of steampunk without the steampunk, if that makes sense? Also, trying to remember how gruesome it was, perhaps I need to reread it...wonder if it is on audio?

ibeeeg said...

This book sounds very interesting. It sounds a bit different than what I normally read. I am putting this on my to-read list.
Thanks for the review.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

I have not heard of this series, but from your review it sounds wonderful. I'll have to check it out.

Unknown said...

Excellent! Did your blog get a new look? Nice.

-CYM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...