Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Watermark

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:


A recent trend in historical fiction is the immersion of multifaceted female protagonists into a trade or profession. Sankaran follows suit by introducing another strong female character into the genre. Born an albino in medieval France, Auda endures a dreadful experience: her tongue is amputated by a healer’s apprentice who believes she has been cursed by the devil. Unable to speak, she is an avid reader and writer who masters her father’s craft as a papermaker at a time when the Church, suspicious of independent thought and communication, tightly controls and monitors access to parchment. When Auda gives voice to her passions through her poetry, both she and her father become victims of the Inquisition. Sankaran deftly illuminates a time of intellectual darkness in this superbly rendered debut.
 This title will be released on April 13, 2010.

What are you waiting on this week? Leave your link here.

~Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.~

13 comments:

Kate said...

Ooohhh... I broke out in goosebumps reading the summary of this book... I think that I will have to read this one too!

Alayne said...

Niiiice pick! My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

Anonymous said...

I have this one to read too. It looks and sounds great.
Adore your new header. color coordinated. how cute.

Jan von Harz said...

Oh I love the sound of this one. What's not to like historical fiction strong female protagonist, free thinking reading and writing, poetry Great pick.

Ryan said...

I have a review copy of this waiting for me to read next month. I'm really looking forward to it.

nomadreader said...

This book looks wonderful! I'll keep my eyes out for it once it's published.

Zibilee said...

I just finished this one for a book tour. It was a really great read and very emotion packed. There were some really great twists in the story as well. I do hope you get your hands on it and get the chance to read and review it. I think you'll really like it!

Alyce said...

That looks very good! Sometimes I wonder about how realistic this type of fiction is though. I wonder how many women actually managed to be educated (because so much of history is written by and about men). On the other hand, I was just reading a few pages from a book about French literature and was surprised that there were several women writers in France in the 1400s and 1500s.

Oh, and I don't know if I've mentioned it recently, but I love your header image!

PolishOutlander said...

Great pick! This was my WoW pick a few weeks ago too :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

well, this sounds pretty great; thanks so much. love your new header too.

Anonymous said...

I want this book. Now.

Veens said...

OH YES! This was my cover attraction post recently and I totally want to read this one as well.

Passages to the Past said...

Sounds so good! I was lucky enough to snag a copy and can't wait to start it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...