Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Books By Theme: Memoirs


Guys, I love memoirs. I do. I really can't get enough of reading about other peoples' lives. They don't even have to be particularly exciting lives, as long as the author has a great, witty writing style. So, for you fellow memoir lovers out there, here are a few more to add to ye ole wish list.

The Addict: One Patient, One Doctor, One Year
by Michael Stein

Stein here re-creates his heartrending struggle to help patients overcome their addictions to commonly prescribed painkillers and other life-threatening drugs. Charting therapeutic challenges and inevitable recidivism, Stein brings to life his all-too-human patients in a narrative that is as readable as any work of compelling fiction. Therapists, addicts, and their family members will be riveted.



Impaired: A Nurse's Story of Addiction and Recovery
by Patricia Holloran

A devoted R.N., Holloran began stealing Stadol from her hospital during a stressful period in her life. Her world was upended when hospital administrators confronted her about the thefts. Fortunately, a stint in drug counseling was successful, and the author went on to advise nursing students and nurses about the pernicious dangers of addiction. A cautionary tale for medical professionals.


I'm Sorry That You Feel That Way: The Astonishing but True Story of a Daughter, Sister, Slut, Wife, Mother and Friend to Man and Dog 
by Diana Joseph

Despite the mouthful of a title, there isn't an excess word in this smart and tightly constructed debut. Fans of David Sedaris and Sarah Vowell will appreciate Joseph's portraits of the men in her life. From her young son's trench foot to her blue-collar father's attempt at a sex talk, these impeccably detailed stories are as heartfelt as they are trenchantly funny.


The Body Broken: A Memoir
by Lynn Greenberg

After first-time memoirist Greenberg survived a harrowing car crash at 19, her broken neck supposedly healed. In 2006, however, debilitating pain returned. In this heartbreaking, inspiring story of the lack of resources and understanding available to chronic pain sufferers, Greenberg finds the determination to live life to the fullest. Lyrical, vivid writing makes this an essential read for those marginalized by the health-care system and medical providers alike.


I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti: A Memoir 
by Giulia Melucci

This delectable memoir follows New Yorker Melucci through failed relationships from college to midlife, detailing the recipes she used to reel the men in, sustain the romances, then comfort herself when they fizzled out. The book's heart lies in Melucci's gradual accretion of culinary wisdom, which leads her to acknowledge her identity as a writer. Anyone who has wondered, "Will I ever find Mr. Right?" will appreciate this sprightly debut.


~ For more themed book lists, check out Listless by One Librarian's Book Reviews and Listed by Once Upon a Bookshelf ~

~ All summaries from Library Journal ~

9 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I really want to read the Melucci memoir - thanks for reminding me : )

StephTheBookworm said...

I love memoirs as well! Thanks so much for sharing these. I added all of them to my TBR.

nomadreader said...

I really enjoy memoirs too! I was already looking forward to I'm Sorry You Feel That Way, but most of these picks were new to me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like memoirs too. I think The Glass Castle is my all time favorite with Love is a Mix Tape coming in a close second. These choices look good too! I hope you can get to them soon.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I love a good memoir too, but only if they're not self-indulgent. Self-indulgent memoirs frustrate me so much!

I really want to read the Joseph memoir. She had a great interview a long time ago about what a memoir is that I thought was really smart.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I love a good memoir too, but only if they're not self-indulgent. Self-indulgent memoirs frustrate me so much!

I really want to read the Joseph memoir. She had a great interview a long time ago about what a memoir is that I thought was really smart.

Veens said...

I don't think I am a memoir lover...! I h ave read only 3 and I think I felt STRONGLY for The Road to lost Innocence by Somaly Mam... it was so powerful.. GOD!
Then I liked When I was a Soldier by Valeri Zennati - this one gave you this look in to Israeli system and life there... so I liked it in that sense!

And then u know I loved Marley and Me - if u could call that a memoir! Then yes I remember reading Family Plots - which was again interesting!
Thats all..
I am not sure what kind of memoir I might like or what I did like it at all!! the 1st 3 books are the types tat i would like to read if I had to read a memoir at all.

you have some unique selections here... lemme jus go thru them!

Anonymous said...

I adore a good memoir as well. Addict is on my list already but thanks for highlighting the others though I don't know about the one on chronic pain: I could write that. I do have ideas for my own memoir but not sure how to develop them. I should read less, write more?

Anonymous said...

ps. I'm reading the memoir of Cherie Currie, one of The Runaways right now: NEON ANGEL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...