Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Monstrosity Gazette: A weekly smattering of all things literary...

Bookish Quote of the Day:

"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John F. Kennedy




Today in Literary History:

On this day in 1967 Alice B. Toklas died, at the age of eighty-nine. Toklas spent her last twenty-one years without Gertrude Stein, but with the same idiosyncratic devotion to Stein's genius as she had throughout their thirty-three years together. This did not protect her from those managing Stein's estate, and at eighty-seven she was evicted from the flat which the two had shared for decades.

For more literary history, please visit Today in Literature.


Literary Pic:

 



Book on my Radar:

Book I: The Mysterious Howling
by Maryrose Wood
Balzer + Bray (February 23, 2010)
272 pages
Children's Fiction (Grades 4-6)
 
Summary in a Sentence:

Fifteen-year-old Miss Penelope Lumley, a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, is hired as governess to three young children who have been raised by wolves and must teach them to behave in a civilized manner quickly, in preparation for a Christmas ball.

Read the reviews: A Chair, A Fireplace & A Tea Cozy | Welcome to my Tweendom

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That book is on my radar too! I'm super curious about it!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

Yes, it sounds deliciously Lemony Snicket-ish.

Miss Remmers said...

I like your bookish quote of the day!

Ana S. said...

I actually didn't stop about Toklas' eviction :\ That's so sad.

Anonymous said...

I love how the incorrigible children are crouching and squatting like wild animals - so I guess they literally were raised by wolves!

Hannah Stoneham said...

Interesting post on Toklas - I didn't know that that happened when Gertrude Stein died - how awful. thanks for sharing

Hannah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...