S. Krishna is hosting this fabulous challenge. Click here for the complete set of rules and suggested reading.
What is the South Asian Author Challenge? This challenge is to encourage people to read books by South Asian Authors – South Asia being India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka. Please not that it does not include the Middle East! The books can be from any time period, contemporary or classic. If you want to talk about the challenge on Twitter or tweet your reviews, use the hashtag #saac.
What books qualify for the South Asian Author Challenge?There are two requirements for a book to qualify for the South Asian Author Challenge, both of which must be met:
1) The author must be of South Asian descent. It doesn’t matter if they’re third or fourth generation, or are only half South Asian – I’m pretty flexible on this issue.
2) The book must be about South Asia in some way. It doesn’t have to be set in South Asia, as long as it’s about the culture or history in some way. On the other hand, it can be set in South Asia and not be about South Asians.I'm going for 3 books, since I already had these on my shelves. Here's my list:
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
- A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam
- The Wish Maker by Ali Sethi