by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Simon & Schuster (2016)
Middle grade science fiction
For the past twelve years, adults called “Freds” have raised Rosi, her younger brother Bobo, and the other children of their town, saying it is too dangerous for them to stay with their parents, but now they are all being sent back. Since Rosi is the oldest, all the younger kids are looking to her with questions she doesn’t have the answers to. She’d always trusted the Freds completely, but now she’s not so sure.
Why You'll Love It:
- It's a perfect next read for kiddos who loved Haddix's Shadow Children series.
- Haddix's tone and language and the absence of graphic violence make this an ideal selection for younger readers eager for a dystopian novel.
- Fast-paced action, plot twists, and cliff-hanger chapter endings will keep readers on the edge of their seats.
Great for 4th-8th graders.
What Else You Should Read:
- City of Ember series by Jeanne DuPrau
- School of the Dead by Avi
- Psi Chronicles series by Lana Krumwiede
Spread the middle grade love! Visit Marvelous Middle Grade Monday for more great MG literature.