by Cynthia Lord
Scholastic (May 26, 2015)
Realistic Fiction Chapter Book
Lily’s lost dog leads to her friendship with Salma, a young migrant who works in the blueberry barrens near Lily’s home. Lily worries Salma will challenge conventions when she enters a local pageant.
Why You'll Love It:
- Seriously. The cover. This will be a great attention-grabber for kiddos; it will move off the library shelves without too much prodding :)
- This book is also a perfect read-aloud for upper elementary classroom teachers.
- Lord conveys a great message without being over the top or preachy. The characters embrace each other's differences and really practice empathy.
Great for grades 4-6...and here's the book trailer!
What Else You Should Read:
- Return to Sender by Julia Alvarez
- Until I Find Julian by Patricia Reilly Giff
- Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer by Kelly Jones