by Ursula Vernon
Dial Books (August 18, 2015)
Graphic/fantasy hybrid chapter book
Never a conventional princess, Harriet becomes an adventurer after learning she is cursed to fall into a deep sleep on her twelfth birthday, but after two years of slaying ogres, cliff-diving, and more with her riding quail, Mumfrey, things go awry at home and she must seek a prince to set things right.
Why You'll Love It:
- Vernon already has a following in our library with the Dragonbreath series, and those kiddos will love Harriet! Also a ready-made booktalk for lovers of Holm's Babymouse graphic novel series.
- Shifting between prose passages and indigo-tinted cartoon sequences, Vernon upends fairy-tale conventions and gender stereotypes left and right.
- Harriet breaks all the "princess" rules. She's cursed from birth to prick her finger when she's 12 and decides she's got to make the best of it 'till then. There's a great twist that leaves Harriet scrambling to find a prince--not to kiss HER awake, but everyone else in the castle.
Great for grades 3-5...and here's the book trailer.
What Else You Should Read:
- The Dragonbreath series (also by Ursula Vernon)
- Half Upon a Time by James Riley
- The Babymouse series by Jennifer Holm