Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Monstrosity Gazette: A weekly smattering of all things literary...

"An ordinary man can...surround himself with two thousand books...and thenceforward have at least one place in the world in which it is possible to be happy."
-Augustine Birrell




Today in Literary History...

On this day in 1931, Dorothy Parker stepped down as drama critic for The New Yorker, so ending the "Reign of Terror" she endured while reviewing plays, and that others endured while being reviewed by her. Parker was a drama critic for only a half-dozen years in a 50-year career, but her Broadway days brought her first fame and occasioned some of her most memorable lines.

For more literary history, visit Today in Literature.





Book on my Radar this week:


In Pursuit of Silence: Listening for Meaning in a World of Noise
By George Prochnik
Hardcover, 352 pages
Doubleday

Summary in a Sentence:

Investigates how modern society came to be so loud, explores what silence has to offer, and discusses the benefits of pursuing quiet.




5 comments:

Alyce said...

I love the quote about two thousand books. Of course when I read it I immediately started calculating how long that many books would last me. :)

StephTheBookworm said...

Wow, I really love that quote!

JaneGS said...

I was happy to see the image of the library at Trinity College, Dublin. I visited the library last year with my daughter and was overwhelmed with how wonderfully majestic that huge room really is. The image went perfectly with your quote :)

Lisa said...

Love the quote and the pick of the library at Trinity!

Anonymous said...

Dorothy Parker was amazing. what a literary life. I'm also stealing that Hopper pic. Love it. And of course LOVE xxoo this weekly post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...