The basic idea of this challenge is to read books about GLBT topics and/or by GLBT authors.
The challenge runs year-round, and there will be three levels of participation:
- Lambda Level: Read 4 books.
- Pink Triangle Level: Read 8 books.
- Rainbow Level: Read 12 or more books.
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides- Three generations of a Greek American family find themselves plagued by a mutant gene which causes bizarre side effects in the family's teenage girls.
- Trans-Sister Radio by Chris Bohjalian- Divorced school teacher Allison Banks falls in love with Dana Stevens, her summer university instructor, but when Dana reveals that he plans to have a sex change operation, Allison must judge whether their relationship can survive, even amidst the fallout from the people of their small town.
- Lucky in the Corner by Carol Anshaw- Fern, having never quite forgiven her mother for leaving her marriage to live with her lover, Jeanne, gets a better understanding of the ambiguities of parental love when she takes on the care of her best friend's baby.
- My Heartbeat by Garret Freymann-Weyr- As she tries to understand the closeness between her older brother and his best friend, fourteen-year-old Ellen finds her relationship with each of them changing.
Click here to sign up.