by Howard Bryant
Philomel Books (2017)
What It's All About:
Giants of the game like Steph Curry, LeBron, and Michael Jordan have transcended the sport to become cultural icons and role models to young fans. From the cornfields of Indiana and the hills of North Carolina, to the urban sprawl of New York City, Chicago and L.A., love of the game stretches from coast to coast. Featuring Top Ten Lists to chew on and debate, and a Top 40-style Timeline of Key Moments in Basektball History, this comprehensive collection includes the greatest dynasties, from the Bill Russell-era Celtics, to the Magic Jonson-led Lakers, to the Jordan-led Bulls, right up to the Tim Duncan-led Spurs.
Why You'll Love It:
- This is an easy hook for serious sports fans seeking an exploration of the history of basketball.
- Alternates among overviews of each decade since the 1960s, profiles of particular players or accounts of high-profile matches, themed “Top 10” lists, and lends itself well to browsing.
- Rather than present a rigidly systematic chronicle or an indigestible barrage of names and statistics, he begins chapters with highlight reels of each era’s leading players and teams.
Great for 5th grade and up.
What Else You Should Read:
- The rest of the Legends series, also by Howard Bryant
- The Final Four: The Pursuit of College Basketball Glory by Matt Doeden
- Crossover by Kwame Alexander