by Sarah Weeks; illustrations by David Small
Scholastic (Feb. 24, 2015)
A cat named Glamourpuss who likes being the center of attention fears she might fall out of fashion when Bluebelle the dog arrives.
Why You'll Love It:
- What a personality! Glamourpuss doesn't lie down, she reclines! She doesn't stretch, she extends!
- I see myself using this book as a mentor text for vivid verbs and word choice.
- The book jacket is pink and sparkly. Duh.
- This book is a great read-aloud and best introduced by an expressive reader. Even more fun would be introducing students to some of the influences behind the characters in the book -- Scarlett O'Hara & Carmen Miranda.
Who Should Read It:
A great read-aloud for K-3rd grade; even older for a minilesson on word choice/vivid verbs.
What Else You Should Read:
- Mr. Putter and Tabby Turn the Page by Cynthia Rylant
- Fancy Nancy series by Jane O'Connor
- Bow-Wow's Nightmare Neighbors by Mark Newgarden