Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mini Reviews: One Day, The Highest Tide, Smile

book cover of One Day by David Nicholls
One Day
by David Nicholls
Vintage Contemporaries, 2009
Genre: Fiction

Summary:

The single day that Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley spend together in 1988, the day after college graduation in Edinburgh, makes a distinct impression on each of them and a relationship forms only after they part ways and are reunited once a year on the same day for twenty years.

My Thoughts:

This book started slowly for me, but I was soon eagerly turning the pages to see what would be happening to Dexter and Emma on July 15th of each year. I loved watching their lives progress on the page. Their friendship ebbed and flowed, much like many of mine do now as I near my thirties. A real tearjearker moment happened toward the end of the book that I am embarrased to say I didn't see coming. I don't usually cry while reading, but I sobbed during part of this one. Just warning you.





book cover of The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
The Highest Tide
by Jim Lynch
Bloomsbury, 2005
Genre: Fiction/Coming-of-age

Summary:

When thirteen-year-old Miles O'Malley discovers a rare deep-sea creature stranded in the mud of the tidal flats of Puget Sound, he finds himself thrown into the limelight, but when he continues discovering rare ocean creatures, some begin to wonder if he is an unlikely prophet.

My Thoughts:

This is a lovely, quiet book that kept reminding me of A Separate Peace. And The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, for some reason. I loved reading Lynch's descriptions of the fantasic sea creatures found by Miles in the Puget Sound tidal flats.





book cover of Smile by Raina Telgemeier graphic novel
Smile
by Raina Telgemeier
Graphix, 2010
Genre: Graphic Novel

Summary:

The author relates, in graphic form, her experiences after she injured her two front teeth and had to have surgeries and wear embarrassing braces and headgear, all while also dealing with the trials and tribulations of middle school.

My Thoughts:

Almost everyone has a dental horror story. I know I do.

Fifth grade + volleyball + knocked out front tooth = hating gym class for the rest of my life

I've had pretty much every horrific dental and orthodontial procedure invented happen inside my mouth, so I could definitely relate to Telgemeier's adolescent experiences with knocked out teeth, braces, and the insecurities that come along with being thirteen. Another great addition to the graphic novel genre that my upper elementary and middle school students can't seem to get enough of.

4 comments:

Mystica said...

I like the sound of One Day - hopefully I will find the book soon.

Zibilee said...

I have always had fears of knocking out a front tooth and having to have a gaping space right in the front of my mouth. This coincided with watching a movie in health class about preventing eye injury ( which showed a lot of people walking around with pencils and such sticking out of their eye). For awhile there, I was walking around shielding my mouth and my eyes!

I also think that The Highest Tide sounds really interesting because I love books with an aquatic theme, and I live weird and interesting sea creatures.

Thanks for these great mini- reviews, and please excuse my rambling!

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Didn't like ONe Day at all...but my daughter LOVED Smile!

Alyce said...

I've heard that One Day is a tearjerker. I've been trying to figure out if it's anything like Nicholas Sparks books because I can't stand those.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...