Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Monstrosity Gazette: A weekly smattering of all things literary...


Quote of the Week

Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest. 

—Lady Bird Johnson



Today in Literary History...


On this day in 1928 Maya Angelou was born in St. Louis, as Marguerite Johnson. Angelou has said that her remarkable and varied life -- prostitute, dancer, actor, writer, activist, educator, academic -- has been made possible by a "remedy of hope" made from reading, courage, and "insouciance."

For more literary history, visit Today in Literature.



Bookish Photo Love:





Book on my Radar:


Life in Year One: What the World Was Like in First-Century Palestine
By Scott Korb
Hardcover, 256 pages
Riverhead

Summary in a Sentence: 

A generally historical, fun look at life during the time of Jesus.

~ Check out this interview with Scott Korb on Diana Joseph's blog.

7 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

I stopped by your interesting blog today.
Ann
www.cozyintexas.blogspot.com
www.annsummerville.com

Passages to the Past said...

Maya Angelou is an amazing woman. I really need to get more of her books.

Scott Korb said...

Might I recommend this:

http://lifeinyearone.tumblr.com/post/487422471/my-talk-of-the-nation-interview-with-rebecca

Scott Korb
Life In Year One

nfmgirl said...

I actually just wanted to mention that I love the new header. I can't remember when you changed it, but everytime I've come here recently I'm struck by how much I love it!

Lisa said...

Great stuff this week!

Eva said...

Life in Year One sounds really neat! Especially since I just read Borg's Jesus. :)

Scott Korb said...

Check out Amazon's Author Central and leave comments or questions about the book. Feel free to start or add to a discussion.

http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Korb/e/B0034MZRXQ/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Hope you enjoy!
SK

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...