Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Can't...Stop...Signing....Up

A Life in Books is hosting this wonderful challenge (click to sign up).

The challenge will be to read a set number of books that focus on books or reading. These can be fictional works, such as The Eyre Affair or The Shadow of the Wind; or non-fiction works such as 84, Charing Cross Road or The Polysyllabic Spree. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of books out there that would fit this challenge.

The challenge begins on January 1, 2010 and ends on December 31, 2010. You must sign up for the challenge by January 31st, 2010.

Only books read during the challenge will count. You may reread books as well as cross-reference books with other challenges.

You do not need to make out a list when you sign up and you can change your mind on particular book selections throughout the challenge. I like to have flexibility for my reading whims!

There are three levels for you to choose from:

  • Bookworm: Read three books
  • Litlover: Read six books
  • Bibliomaniac: Read twelve books
I'm going for Litlover:
  1. A Passion for Books
  2. The Ghost Writer
  3. Who the hell is Pansy O'Hara?
  4. The Thirteenth Tale
  5. The Last Dickens
  6. The Man who loved books too much



First off, some details:  This challenge will run from January 1st, 2010 to December 31st 2010.  And it is completely okay to double-dip, what you read/watch here can count on other challenges! Click here to sign up.

Next, decide on what level you'd like to participate:
~ Level 1:  4 books, at least 2 written during 1837 - 1901.  The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction.
~ Level 2:  8 books, at least 4 written during 1837 - 1901.  The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction.
~ Level 3:  12 books, at least 6 written during 1837 - 1901.  The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction.
I'm going for Level 1.
  1.  Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  3. The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff
  4. Grange House by Sarah Blake


    The challenge will run from January 1st to December 31st, 2010, and will be hosted at Medieval Bookworm.  Challenge genres include history, medieval literature, and historical fiction.  Medieval, for simplicity of definition, will be from 500-1500, and literature from all over the world is welcome, not just western Europe.  There are 3 levels:
    • Peasant – Read 3 medieval books of any kind.
    • Lord – Read 6 medieval books, at least one of each kind.
    • King – Read 9 medieval books, at least two of each kind.
    I'm going for the Peasant Level.

    1. The Serpent's Tale by Ariana Franklin
    2. A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver by E.L. Konigsburg
    3. Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve


    Haley of The Life (and Lies) of an Inanimate Flying Object is hosting the Jane Austen Reading Challenge.

    --Levels: 

    **Newbie 2 books by J. Austen, 2 re-writes, prequels, sequels, or spoofs (by other authors)
    **Lover 4 books by J. Austen, 4 re-writes, prequels, sequels, or spoofs (by other authors)
    ** Fanatic 6+ books by J. Austen, 5+ re-writes, prequels, sequels, or spoofs (by other authors)

    I'm doing the Newbie level.
    1. Pride and Prejudice
    2. Sense and Sensiblility
    3. Intimations of Austen by Jane Greensmith
    4. The Other Mr. Darcy

    9 comments:

    Stacy said...

    I had set a limit for 5 challenges only this year but this sounds too good to pass up. Thank you for leading me to it.

    Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

    I might just try this one..Souds easier then the rest LOL

    Jo-Jo said...

    Good luck to you on this challenge.

    Michelle said...

    I hope that you like The Last Dickens. I read it not too long ago and REALLY enjoyed it. Let me know what you think!

    Good luck with your reading challenges in 2010!

    Michelle

    Unknown said...

    I thought I was a nut for challenges... you've got me beat!
    Take Care!
    Shellie

    Carrie K. said...

    I really have to stop reading other people's challenge posts - I'm signed up for too many already - but this one is so tempting!

    Lesley said...

    Thank you for being the first to sign up for my challenge! I hope you have fun with it. I loved The Thirteenth Tale and may end up reading it again since it's an upcoming selection for one of my book clubs and it's been a couple years since I read it. I'd never heard of Who the hell is Pansy O'Hara but I love the title alone!

    Good luck with all your challenges!

    Anonymous said...

    Have you read Possession? It sounds perfect for you if you haven't. (for the Biblio challenge which sounds like a pretty interesting challenge and I feel awful that I haven't read Matthew Pearl's books yet but consider him a "friend.") Other things comes up.

    Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

    I joined the Bibliophilic Books challenge too. I am excited about it. Here is my sign up post and list of book.

    Your books look great. I think I have The Thirteenth Tale on my TBR shelf -- I may add it to my list.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...